Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Get That Look: "Something's Gotta Give"

In this new regular feature (well, maybe semi-regular!) in ::Surroundings::, I will focus on interior design (aka set decorating) in movies and television. I've done stage set decorating in the past and I know that it's a combination of art, science & psychology all rolled into one. Set decorators create interior scenes that both support character development and move the story along. I many ways, it's not a lot different than creating interiors for our own homes. We should want our spaces to reflect who we are, who we want to be and how we want to interact with the world.

February 21st update: I was interviewed for this story "They Gotta Have It" in The Washington Post, which disucsses the impact this movie has had in home decor.

The first movie I'm taking on is the Diane Keaton/Jack Nicholson comedy "Something's Gotta Give". I must say, I was completely enamoured by the interiors. When I make it big on broadway and have my summer "cottage" in the Hamptons, this is THE house that I aspire to. The interiors made such an impact that Architectural Digest did a feature story on set decorator Beth Rubino, director Nancy Meyers and production designer Jon Hutman. Read the article here.

The overall style of these interiors was classic shingle style, beachy comfort. All the furniture was oversized and comfortable - floppable, really. The color scheme is washed out whites and blues. While not innovative, definately classic. A few things in this family room that really stand out to me. The rug, the clock and the general "careful-careless" look of the mismatched furniture and lamps.





I love the fact that this beach picnic scene mimics the color palette and feel of the living room. One of the best ways of creating a "look" is to create the color palette and textures of the natural environment.

I feel like the set decor for the beach house could have been inspired by this single shot.

Update: I just found out that Aspen Carpet Designs was asked to re-create the rug in the movie for a customer. They put them into production and you can buy them here.


The rug in the movie came from The Rug Loft in New York.


The clock is a Swedish Mora clock. Avolli in Maine, purveyours of Antique Scandanavian furnishings and accessories carries similar clocks of this style:





Slipcovered sofa's are readily available at Crate and Barrel



 and Pottery Barn.



Clive console table from Restoration Hardware:

Nesting tables from Restoration Hardware.



In the kitchen, "countertops are wood painted to resemble soapstone. Wolf range and hood. Waterworks fixture; Kohler sink." (per Architectural Digest).

In the bedroom: another R. Kenton Nelson painting graces the mantle.

July 2007 Update! - thanks to Patricia Gray, who posted a comment on Cote de Texas about this table, I can let you all know that the round white table is by Rose Tarlow.




Recommended:




Rhyme and Reason Prose and Cons, Paintings by R. Kenton Nelson

Art prints of works by Edward Henry Potthast can be purchased here.

Click here for all "Something's Gotta Give" posts, and learn how to "Get that Look"! Other movies and television shows are here.

34 comments:

Anonymous said...

Linda,
Do you have anymore information on the interior of this house? Where things were purchased, fabrics, trays, and artist for the art work etc. anything?

Thanks, Janet Bell
JLYanda@comcast.net
415-317-0795

Linda Merrill said...

I haven't been able to track down this information. But, I can say that this subject gets the most hits of any other on my blog. So, there are a lot of people looking to get this look.

If anyone finds sources for the actual furnishings, etc. Please come back and let us know!

Anonymous said...

I just found your blog and can't wait to read your entries.
I know that some of the artwork in the Something's Gotta Give set was done by Edward Henry Potthast. Here is an article that you might enjoy (it also gives more photos and info about the set):
http://www.setdecorators.org/incEngine/?content=cm&cm=hotofftheset&article_id=1052159540&closeupon=1052159535
Also, there is an ebay store that sells movie props...the $ goes to charity. They've been selling small props from the movie for awhile now: http://stores.ebay.com/hollywoodcpr
(No, I have nothing to do with them! Just thought some of your readers might like to see what they have...it's hit or miss.)
Mary
mslil65@triad.rr.com

Anonymous said...

Oops...that first link didn't link like I thought it would! Scroll to the bottom of the page for the "Something's Gotta Give" link for the Hot Off the Set article.
Mary

Linda Merrill said...

Thanks Mary, Great links!

Anonymous said...

I forgot to say that some of the artwork was done by R Kenton Nelson. I LOVE his work!
Mary

apple said...

This is fabulous! I have looked all over for a designer who shows a look in the media and then shows you how to get the look. So great!

Do you have any pictures and/or text about the bedroom for this movie?

Linda Merrill said...

I haven't done the bedroom yet - harder to find pics for it. But, I re-rented the dvd so I could watch it slowly and will do some posting on it asap. This is by far the most searched for topic on my blog!

L.S. said...

Thank you! I've been a fan of this movie and an even bigger fan of the set. Please continue your blog! Great work.

Anonymous said...

Linda thank you for your information it is great. i was going nuts trying to find the picture in her room of the swimmer. i know you said R kenton nelson do you know where I can purchase a print by chance? Thanks

Linda Merrill said...

Hi Anon,
As far as I can tell, there are no prints of R. Kenton Nelson's work yet. He's a contemporary painter (although his work looks older) and doesn't seem to have licensed these rights yet. But, Mr. Nelson, if you're reading... looks like a big market for you!

Anonymous said...

I think some of the wicker trays and baskets and some of the glassware might be Simon Pearce. I think the bowl on the table in the living room might be the Shelburne Bowl.

Cote de Texas said...

Linda - Hi - the chair next to the Rose Tarlow table looks like Oly Studio to me. check it out!

Thanks for mention.

Joni
Cote de Texas

yayagal said...

Linda I'm desperately looking for the black and white photo on the mantle in the movie Somthings GG. It's in the scene when Jack Nicholson goes over to the mantle. Looking straight on, it's to the right of the Swimmer painting. I've been looking for months now. It's a black and white of a man's forearm with many wrist watches on it. I need it for a Xmas gift.
You can email me at Yayagal@comcast.net if you have any info or suggestions to how I can further search. Thank you.

Anonymous said...

How wonderful to find information for the items in this great movie and also others that love the house like I do. I cannot for the life of me find any place that shows the exact picture over the fireplace by Potthast. If anyone has found that picture, you can contact me here....
from.day.1@hotmail.com

Anonymous said...

linda,
A tid-bit on this house: The address of the actual house used for exterior shots is 576 meadow lane, southampton NY. It can be viewed pretty clearly on www.Zillow.com. Type in address and select different birdseye views. Enjoy!

Linda Merrill said...

Thanks for the tip, Anon! It's a hug house. $17M!

Anonymous said...

I have been searching everywhere for the wine goblets in the scene at the dining table at the home in the hamptoms. Can anyone give me any suggestions? I have looked everywhere. My email address is: lallen@bakerlaw.com.
Thanks.

Linda Merrill said...

Hi Anon - I don't know about the wine goblets, but I feel like I've seen the information somewhere. I'll see if I can find it or remember.
Linda

Anonymous said...

The goblets are made by Simon Pearce. Here's the website. (I love those goblets too!) http://www.simonpearce.com/prdSell.aspx?DeptName=DeptGlass&SubDeptName=SubStemware&Name=SellHartlandStemware

Anonymous said...

I am looking for the fabric used for the throw pillows on the couch in the living room? anyone know specifically what was used? Would an email asking the designer James Radin be ok or do designers like to keep their work a "secret"? I love this house! Thank you for all of the info and hard work!

Linda Merrill said...

Hi Aug 2 Anon - the fabrics look like Colefax & Fowler or possibly Cowtan & Tout, but I'm not really sure. You could contact James Radin, although he'd no the credited set decorator, that was Beth Rubino. But, James' website has many similar looks, so he might know!

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for all this info. It gives me hope that getting the look is possible...I was wondering if you knew what the color of the kitchen cabinets were. In most pictures of the kitchen it looks like it has a grey undertone whereas in one picture (sunlight shining in) it looks a little like cream.

Linda Merrill said...

I don't know about the paint color on the cabinets. Anyone else??

Anonymous said...

I just love this house! Can anyone tell me who the builder was? I would love to get the house plan! Thank you so much.

Linda Merrill said...

Hi Anon - this wasn't a real house, just a movie set. So, the inside was all done on a sound stage and it had no relation to the outside of the house, which was a real house in the Hampton's. Sorry! Here's a link to an interview that I did with the set decorator Beth Rubino: http://skirtedroundtable.blogspot.com/2010/01

Linda Merrill said...

Well, that doesn't work, go to: http://skirtedroundtable.blogspot.com and find the link along the left side

Matty3403 said...

Great site! Any idea what type of flooring and what color it is in the kitchen?

Linda Merrill said...

Matty - I believe it was a faux finished floor, painted a dark color. It wasn't real wood because the scenery had to be moved in and out easily. The trickery of Hollywood!

Anonymous said...

I was wondering if anyone knows what paint colours were used in this house/set? I love the blue tone in the bedroom and the shade of white used in the living room. Thanks so much. I too LOVE this house.

Anonymous said...

Hi, for years now since this movie came out I've been searching the globe for the nickel plated lamp in the Master bedroom on the Rose Tarlow table. Any ideas of where I might find the lamp?

Anonymous said...

Can someone tell me about the lighthouse painting in the kitchen photos. Thanks for your help.

Anonymous said...

Can someone please tell me the color paint used in the Master Bedroom?

Anonymous said...

can anyone provide a source for the pair of dark wicker chairs with seat cushions shown in the living area?

Post a Comment