Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Martha Stewart Crafts


Everyone who knows me knows that I'm a big fan of Martha's and there aren't too many crafts I haven't taken up at some point or another. The nooks and cranny's of my house are filled with Martha's soap making supplies, Martha's cookie decorating supplies and hordes of big-ass copper cookie cutters, not to mention Martha's books on decorating for the holidays and home organization. I should own stock... oh, I did own stock. (note the past tense).

Anyhow, I was just at Michaels Arts and Crafts in Hanover, MA and was perusing the display of Martha Stewart: Crafts products. Actually, there wasn't much product left on the shelves; it was pretty well picked over. I commented to the sales lady that the products must be very popular, given the depleted inventory and she concurred. She said the only problem is that their in-store coupons can't be used on these products, so it's been a bit confusing to buyers.

Generally, I'm not a big fan of craft kits that come practically finished with only simple assembly required (unless you're under 6 or over 86). I think it's important to be able to put one's own stamp on a handmade item. It's kind of like making a packaged cake with ready-made icing. Still tasty, still "made by hand", still wonderful, but not truly original.

These aren't too bad:




I was just checking the Martha Stewart site and I don't see the soap making and cookie decorating kits. Maybe she's dropped them for the new line. Too bad.

On side note, while I was at the store, I overheard an elderly woman on the phone with AAA. She'd been waiting over 2 hours for them to come help her out - she'd locked herself out of her car. She sounded like an an older person to me and must have over the phone. They promised to send someone else. I brought her a water and told her that I would stop back after a couple of errands and if she was still waiting, I'd run her home to get her spare set of keys. When I got back about 20 minutes later, she'd just gotten into her car. But, all I could think of was - how could it take so long - nearly three hours and two tow companies - to get one older lady into her car and where was a juvenile delinquent when you need one ! Bad AAA!

3 comments:

** Terramia ** said...

Martha, oh Martha...
The tissue paper flower kit is fabulous idea for a spring table setting... what radiant colours! Great ideas here... merci for sharing!

Ms. Place said...

Fabulous kits, but who's got the time? Is Martha in la-la land?

Once when I locked my keys inside the car, AAA said it would take 45 minutes to come. When I said I had a dog in the car, they arrived within 10. Perhaps a little white lie next time...?

The Peak of Chic said...

I like that tissue paper flower kit too!

Post a Comment