Thursday, October 23, 2008

Hooked On Houses House Tour

Welcome to the New England stop on Julia's Hooked on Houses house tour!

Duxbury is a small coastal town that was founded in the early 1600's. Among our first settlers was John and Priscilla Alden. And this is their house:

Here's another image - which I took last year at an event. The gentleman in gray below is Academy Award winning author Chris Cooper, who lives nearby!

Here's a typical old home - small windows and all! The old growth plantings are very special.

Duxbury was a big shipping capital up until the early/mid 19th century, when ships grew too large for our harbor. We have many homes dating up to that era when money was flowing in, but once the shipping industry died down, the town went through a depression. The interesting architectural result of this is that we have many Colonial, Federal and Greek Revival homes, we don't have many Victorian's, as no one had the money to build new homes for quite a long time. And, the original homes weren't remodeled to look more current, so many retained their architectural integrity. Here are a couple of my favorites. The first is Federal and the second is Greek Revival.


Here is our most famous house in town. A shipping magnate and one of American's first millionairs, Ezra Weston, followed by his son, was known as King Caesar by the locals. This house was built in 1807.

Every year, the Duxbury Historical Society hosts a Christmas decorator house tour, which I participated in for several years.

Here's the dining room that I decorated in 2005. Here's the East Parlor that I did in 2003. Note the wallpaper is original handpainted paper imported from Paris when the house was built.
Here was a little vignette of a children's tea party that I created.

From a magazine photo shoot in 2005, the front hall and west parlor (not my work)
I believe that this house below is quite old, but has been added onto several times over the years. I love this house below for it's incredible grounds and for being yellow. I love a yellow house!

Here are some newer homes. When I was in high school and college, I cleaned homes as a summer job. This was one of my houses.


As was this:
The following house is relatively new - about 15 years old. The house is currently on the market. I worked with the homeowner to get it ready for sale. It's a very special house and was custom built for the owners. It's pretty spectacular, but there is a totally adorable tiny house on the property that I so wanted to move into. Unfortunately, I don't have pics of that house!

California meets New England coastline:
Music Room:

Family Room:Amazing gourmet kitchen:

The dining room was totally empty. Since the homeowner didn't want to buy a large dining room set to fill the space just for the sale, I came up with the idea of creating a music room/dining salon feel. And the living room:

Thanks for visiting my stop on the Hooked On Houses tour. And thanks for this great idea, Julia!

20 comments:

Passion for Rugs said...

Those lawns are so lush and the homes so beautiful from the outside. Wonderful idea for the dining room/music area. Piano looks like it was meant to be there --Jane

Bella Casa said...

What a beautiful town you live in, thanks for all of the beautiful pictures and tour!

Bella

springtreeroad said...

lovely! fun tour. thanks!

Julia @ Hooked on Houses said...

Wow! There is so much good stuff to see in this one post. I loved it all!

I'm fascinated by historic homes, so it looks like I need to make a trip to Duxbury. I enjoyed hearing some of its history, and how the depression meant that there weren't many Victorian homes built there.

I think your music room/dining salon idea was genius. It really works in what could've been an odd space.

Thanks for joining the blog party, Linda, and for taking us on such a wonderful tour! I thoroughly enjoyed it. :-)

Maya said...

Nice to stumble upon something familiar..., sort of..., we looked around the area of Duxbury a bit (my husband works in Boston), but then ended up settling further south just over the MA border in the coastal town of Tiverton, RI. Thanks for the tour! It's beautiful up there.

Ms. Tee said...

What lovely homes! Thank you for the tour!

norma said...

Thanks for posting those lovely homes, I really enjoyed looking at them,thanks for the Tour.

Rue said...

Did I spy a La Cornue range in that kitchen?? Be still my heart.

Thank you for the very interesting history tour. I'll have to make a trip out there some day. Oh and I love that yellow house too :)

rue

The Summer Kitchen Interiors said...

Looks like we need to add Duxbury to our 'places to visit' list!
Thanks for the tour of town!
Karla & Karrie

Linda at Lime in the Coconut! said...

Stunning homes. Everyone of them! Americana at its best!!

Heather said...

The house that is for sale is amazing! Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

You really do have a wonderful, beautiful home town. So graceful and elegant. Fabulous Christmas decor! Beth

Linda Merrill said...

Hi everyone - thanks for all your nice comments!!

Rue - yes, good eye, that is a La Cornue range. The owner had studied cooking in Paris and came home with the stove - which had been customized for him. I'm not a cook - but that was amazing!!

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Hi, Linda, thanks for stopping by my tour. This one is amazing..never been to that part of the country before, but what gorgeous pics.

I saw your write-up about virtual decorating in the Wash. Post via our local Birmingham paper too. They printed the entire article. I'm a decorator & would love to read more about your virtual decorating as well as more of your blog. I'll be back! I'm also watching Top Design too, so will have to check out your recaps.

Jan and Tom's Place said...

Ohhhhhh...I love kitchens and fireplaces the most!!

Thanks for the visit.

Laura @ the shorehouse. said...

I'm particularly fond of the John and Priscilla Alden home. When I was little, we had little pilgrim statues and every year they came out for the Thanksgiving holiday my mom would tell me the story of John and Priscilla Alden. (She named her little statues John and Priscilla Alden. :-)

I LOVED your post! That house on the market is incredible. I could be very, very happy there.

KVC said...

Great tour! This is one of my favorites. I really like the fireplace you decorated. KV

Ivy Lane said...

Linda, I LOVE your blog (s)!! This post is really terrific. Thanks for stopping by my blog and for sending me off to see your settee that you so beautifully transformed. I hope to get more pics of people who have sofas,settees, banquettes..used as seating in their dining rooms..

I'll be back to enjoy your blog more often! :)

Linda Merrill said...

Hi Rhonda - thanks for stopping by and for letting me know about the article in the Birmingham paper. Funny how those things get around!

Linda Merrill said...

Laura- too cute about your Mom's John and Priscilla dolls!

KVC - that fireplace was a little over the top. It made more visual sense in person than the photo.

Thanks Ivy!

Post a Comment