Monday, December 14, 2009

Linda's Kitchen: There's light at the end of the tunnel




Once upon a time, my kitchen was a dated, tiny space with nasty knotty pine cabinets and twenty-five year old appliances.





As a featured piece of my blogging relationship with New England Home magazine, my planned kitchen facelift took on a larger scale. Instead of just painting the cabinets and walls, the popcorn ceiling was scraped off, recessed lighting was installed and beadboard was put up .

The cabinets were fully painted inside (Farrow & Ball: Cooking Apple Green) and out (Ben Moore: Black Forest Green).



Ferguson Appliance was the source for the beautiful kitchen appliances. My contact, Paul Gillis, in their Franklin, MA showroom was great to work with. We discussed my needs, space restrictions and budget and he put together a group of appliances that fit the bill and made all the arrangements for delivery and installation.

On delivery day, all I needed to do was prop open the door.


The very nice and professional delivery guys from Ferguson taking away my old stove. It served its purpose for twenty-five years and two owners so I'd say it didn't owe me anything. I am, however, looking forward to not burning things because it was running hot.
 

The next day, Ferguson's installer Tim came out and hooked up all the new appliances.  Again, he was so professional and nice to be around.

And so, I now have all new Whirlpool appliances - refrigerator, dishwasher and double oven range. I feel like I've died and gone to Julia Child's heaven.

 

 

On the work front, there is still quite a lot of work to be done. The soffit over the cabinets has been beadboarded and painted to match the walls and back splash. I still need to paint the undersides of the cabinets, sew the roman shade for the window, frame out the door way and, finally, build the new counter top with undercounter storage that is going along the long entry wall into the kitchen.


But, first, I have a lot of Christmas cookies to bake. Let the entertaining begin!



 Subscribe to ::Surroundings::

24 comments:

susan said...

I hope I can be the first to say congratulations, you've done a smashing job on your kitchen! A lot of elbow grease, I'm sure, but so worth it. I love the elements of color (and neutrals) and how you've distributed them within your space. There is definitely a real elegance to the kitchen. I can't wait to see the area opposite the closet. I know how long this whole process have been for you, as I've been a witness to it since before you started! What a wonderful job! Simple, elegant, gracious, WOW!

Anonymous said...

It looks fabulous LOVE your new everything but that stove is to die for !!!!

Happy baking....
Kathy :)

La Maison Fou said...

Fin;
So glad to hear it is done, & with the holidays upon us what fun to be able to cook in a new kitchen. By the way, I just love it!
Have fun with that holiday baking,
Happy Holidays Linda!
Leslie

Fifi Flowers said...

The redo looks GREAT! I LOVE that floor! I want my foyer floor to be like that!

Gwen Driscoll said...

Linda,

Your kitchen looks fabulous. So glad you've got it in a place to at least function again. We finished our kitchen renovation in Sept. and I still have a punch list a mile long I can't bring myself to get finished up. If you have time, stop by my blog, Ragland Hill Social, it's green week this week. I think you'll like it considering your color choices. Hope you are well.

Gwen
Ragland Hill Social

Julia @ Hooked on Houses said...

Ooh, love it, Linda! Looks sharp!

AbbeyK said...

LOOKS GREAT. Love the green on the ceiling. I'll come to a party there, happily, even if it IS on the S. Shore. ha ha.

AbbeyK

kayellen said...

Beautiful Linda!!

I love how the appliances add sparkle to the room...

The breadboard back-splash is great too!!

I am sure you are thrilled:)

Smiles,
KayEllen

FrenchGardenHouse said...

Linda, It looks wonderful! I bet you are more than thrilled, I love it. {I hope to do a teeny makeover before a feature gets shot in my own dated kitchen in the spring, so you've given me courage.:)} LOVE the floor and colors. You have a happy kitchen now, befitting your beautiful design sense. Happy Holidays, sweetie.xoxo Lidy

Cote de Texas said...

omg~~~~!!!!!
the appliances are gorgeous - I love that dishwasher when you walk in!!! don't you just love that? it all really looks totally different. I'm soo happy for you and that range! wow!!!!!!!!!
Congratulations.

Developing Designs said...

WOW, WOW, & WOW. Awesome Job....what a transformation. I can smell those delicious cookies baking now. :) Happy Holidays xo

Boxwood Terrace said...

Your kitchen looks beautiful! How great to have new appliances, and stainless steel ones no less. The green ceiling looks great with your black and white tiled floor. Really a nice combination of colors. Congratulations!

oven spare parts said...

The tools in ur kitchen are really fantastic. They are perfectly matching with ur kitchen. I m surely following ur blog.

Lauren said...

Oh Linda I'm so excited for you!!!!! You did such an AMAZING job & I've so enjoyed seeing your vision come to life!! It's beautiful and you must be so happy!! It's at once a kitchen of today but it has the warmth & feeling of a classic kitchen of another era.

BEAUTIFUL!!!!

xoxo,
lauren

Brillante Home Decor said...

I love the colors you have chosen (inside cabinets is also great). What a difference. Happy baking!

Linda Merrill said...

Thanks everyone! It's been a lot of work, but totally worth it. I cannot wait till it's completely finished, hopefully by mid-January. Then it will be professionally photographed. So exciting!

Tracy @ Comfort and Luxury said...

Wow! So shiny! Love how everything's come together and can imagine how thrilled you must be. Looks fantastic, Linda!

LindsB said...

Wow, Linda it looks amazing!! I just LOVE all the colors you picked out, the cabinets being my favorite!! You must be so happy to have it all done with just in time for Christmas- yeah!!

Yvonne Blacker said...

Seeing that floor reminds me of the kitchen transformation at the 2009 York Decorator Showhouse. Stunning! I love that you worked with some of what you already had ... and did it beautifully!

Lisa said...

Oh My! Let me put my sunglasses on! That is one beautiful, sparkely, dazzeling kitchen. You should be so proud of yourself! Just in time for Christmas cookies too....yaaay you did it!
xo Lisa

Robyn said...

LOVE it! We are at the tail end of a Kitchen RENO we are doing ourselves...from natural oak cabinets to painted cabinets in Behr's Beluga which is a DARK grey that's more like BLACK but not tooooo black. I LOVE it! Come check it out sometime...I haven't done my final reveal but we will sometime soon! :-)

Anonymous said...

Linda,

Love how your new kitchen is looking...such an amazing transformation. One suggestion though and I hope you don't mind...please consider eliminating some of the counter items. They distract from all your beautiful hard work and vision.

Linda Merrill said...

Hi Anon - you're right, there's a lot on the counters. But remember, these were just quick snaps of the space, eventually I'll have real pics taken.Also, this kitchen has no storage and only 2 small drawers, so I have no choice but to keep things on the counters. I will be adding in a new long counter with storage underneath, so that will hopefully alleviate the issue of the counter items.

Susan Sullivan said...

Linda it looks amazing. I have old knotty pine cabinets and would love to get rid of them. Just not in the plan this year! I was wondering what you had to do to get rid of your popcorn celing. My whole house has it and I would love to get rid of it.

Post a Comment