Once upon a time (okay, about six months ago), I had a kitchen that looked like this:
Outside of the appliances, my budget was very small. Originally, I wanted to spend no more than $300. Well, I've spent a little more but not much. I still need to add up all the receipts so maybe I'll be surprised. We'll see.
Meanwhile, I wanted the share the last major items that I just installed today. I discussed last week how we installed the new counter along the long wall entering into the kitchen and I've been debating a long time what kind of counter skirt I wanted - tailored and smart looking or a gathered girlie looking thing. I'd decided to use burlap which is environmentally friendly, trendy (not something I'm normally big on) and at $1.99 per yard, also trés budget friendly.
As you can see below, I went with a simple gathered skirt attached along the edge of the counter with Velcro. I ended up using shirring tape to gather the skirt, as the burlap was so heavy, bulky and long that my normal method of doing gathers just would not do. I had some problem with attaching the skirt as I wanted to use Velcro so it would be removable. However, the skirt would not stay stuck to the sticky side of the Velcro so I tried sewing it. Which resulted in 3 of the 5 broken sewing machine needles I experienced today. In the end, I had to resort to semi-discreet stapling. Oh well, live and learn.
And today I made a new roman shade made from the burlap. I used my original toile shade as the template to follow and even reused the cording and wooden rods in the top and bottom. I've never made a roman shade before (I usually stay away from mechanical things and stick with pillows that just sit there looking pretty and aren't expected to do much of anything). For my first foray, I don't think it's too bad. I'm hoping the folds will settle in. I am happy to have something up in the window again, it feels finished.
And so, I've pretty much come to the end of my kitchen makeover. I have a couple of decorative items to attend to and then I'm thrilled that photographer Michael J. Lee will be photographing it. So, stay tuned for the "big reveal" in a few weeks.
And meanwhile, speaking of Michael, I'm very excited to share that The Boston Sunday Globe magazine ran a feature on my Boston townhouse living room project that Michael shot for me this summer. It's truly because of his amazing photography that this project was able to be published so quickly. So check out "Strategic Splurges".
Subscribe to ::Surroundings::