Wednesday, February 17, 2010

French Pastry Tables - Just in Time for Lent!

It's Ash Wednesday and the start of the long and restrictive forty day Lenten period. And so, it seemed a little ironic that I'd receive a postcard from O'Brien Ironworks showcasing their French Pastry Serving table. Suddenly, visions of baguettes and croissant, pastries and profiteroles danced in my head.



O'Brien Ironworks - French Pastry Serving Table

Aside from the dancing donuts (oy, Lent is going to be long!), I was still struck by how pretty the traditional French Pastry table is with its classic scrolling legs and cool marble top. Here's a round up:
 


French Patisserie table "La Madeleine" from La Fenice

Antique French pastry table via Cote De Texas


Napolean III French Pastry table, circa 1870 via Dickson-Rendell Antiques


 
 
19th century French Baker's Table from Georgia Creek Antiques via 1st Dibs 

Designer Suzanne Reinstein's kitchen via Cote de Texas

There's nothing like a beautiful piece that is also functional. Cool marble + hot buns = yum!


 Subscribe to ::Surroundings::

13 comments:

LIBERTY POST EDITOR said...

Hot 'Cross' Buns: cross that I don't own a table like this. Very classic and so French. Lovely.

kathi @ traybella said...

wow! not sure what I like more...the table or that lovely kitchen that it sits in! oh my...sigh.
kathi

Deborah said...

I've always wanted one of these tables, but oh...the price tags. The Suzanne Rheinstein kitchen is one of my favorites. Thanks for sharing! Deborah

Annie@A View On Design said...

those tables are divine - they must be sooo expensive, I wish I had one... I'd put it in a pretty plain room so that it is the real show stopper in the room it should be!

French-Kissed said...

Gorgeous pasty tables, Linda. Contemporary versions are surfacing and retailers like Room & Board are offering the option of ordering several of their tables with a marble top...which just happens to be what my 23 year old daughter is dreaming of for her new Brooklyn condo dining room. In Santa Barbara I often see these used in a garden setting. If I were fortunate to have one I would want to baby it and keep it inside. ~jermaine~

DC by Design said...

Oh wow, thank you for introducing me to this delicious eye candy! After this, I won't need the real sweets....

Ragland Hill Social by Gwen Driscoll said...

I think you may have solved a decorating dilemma for my kitchen. Thank you Linda! Oh, we are giving up the "drink" for Lent. Going to be a long 40 days. I'll keep you posted on how it's going. So far, so good. One day down 39 to go. Hope you are well.

Acanthus and Acorn said...

This was such a great post and thanks for the tip...I just purchased the table above from 1st Dibs. Ahhh, if only that were true! The truth is that these pastry tables have been on my radar for so long and I will likely never own one. I would simply be satisfied helping a client choose one!!! I fell in love with a beauty some years ago at Alexandra A.D. in Charleston, S.C. and it too came with a hefty price tag. It still lingers in my mind as will these images!

Trouvais said...

I recently saw a great one at a local antique store...but had to avert my eyes. No. More. Room. As it is I will have to chuck something to squeeze in that Duchesse Brisee. Marble pastry tables are one of the top "it" pieces of furniture for me. Love it with the gray stone top (c. 1870). Only 39 more days without sugar...I'm checking off every day. Trish

FrenchGardenHouse said...

Painful. I once let a gorgeous example slip by, because it weighed two ton! These are beautiful, Lent or no Lent, if I found another antique one, I'd buy it in a flash. xo Lidy

Fine Linens said...

This is the good blog with good images and good details. Please keep on posting the more stuff. I will like to hear more from you.

Karena said...

I too love the last image of Suzanne's Kitchen!

They are all beautiful!
Karena

Anonymous said...

Now that I have "found" all these design blogs, how will I ever
do anything else? Thank you..............Love your site and the
Skirted Roundtable..............the best interviews.

Post a Comment