Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Architectural Digest: A hopeful sign


Maybe it's because I'm a New England girl, but this Rockport, ME waterfront property that's featured in the October issue of AD has me feeling hopeful that changes are afoot for this venerable, but dated, magazine. This spread is fresh and appealing, light of touch and long on personality. It looks like a space people actually live in, or would like to visit.


Nothin' but view... It can be very cold and dark on the Maine waterfront, even in summer. The bright white house will likely always feel light and airy and I'm liking the warming touch of the leather sofa.






This is the guest room. Although I personally don't love waking up with the sun, for a view like this, it would be worth it!


Photographer: Richard Mandelkorn

Our most recent Skirted Roundtable discussion focused on the changes at the top of most of the shelter magazines still on the stands, including Architectural Digest. Margaret Russell (formerly of Elle Decor) takes over as e-i-c shortly and I'm personally hoping to see more New England design gracing the pages of all the magazines and I think we're all hoping for some injection of a beating heart in AD. This spread is a good start.



 Subscribe to ::Surroundings::

12 comments:

carrie leber said...

so pretty, love the gorgeous white next to the water.

Anonymous said...

This image of Hugh Jacobson houses have been published a thousand times.........great the first time, not his houses are just boring!

Terry said...

It's a beauty. Hugh Newell Jacobsen's places have classic shapes done to a crisp detail. On our too rare vacations I don't want my bedroom facing east. No way.

Linda Merrill said...

Hey Anon - I guess it's a matter of preference - I love the style and wouldn't get bored. But for some, they might be too plain.

Terry - two words "sleep mask" - can't travel without one!

Hill Country House Girl said...

Oh Linda! I LOVE Hugh Newell Jacobson's work - LOVE IT!! This post just makes me happy. I posted about a home he designed in Nashville and it has been published many times, but I have never seen this one.....and in MAINE! I'd be in heaven in that house. Thanks for making me smile from ear to ear this afternoon.

The Shabby Paris Market said...

Love your blog, following it and LOVE your Mag E Zine!!!! Following following!! Thank you for all the beautiful pictures! Won't you stop by our blog and follow us too?
http://theshabbyparismarket.blogspot.com/
Have a great evening!
Jen & Dawn, AKA The Shabby Paris Girls

Ragland Hill Social by Gwen Driscoll said...

I so hope AD can get turned around. Can't imagine Margaret Russell won't take the bull by the horns and make it happen. Really exciting time in design publishing with all these changes. I think we are in for an amazing era! Hope you are having a great week. And, yes, sleep mask is the only way to go. I panic if I can't find mine!

Karena said...

Linda, I totally agree and adore the light and sun filled rooms. I personally love a master or guest room with an east facing view! Changes are afoot!

Karena
Art by Karena

Cote de Texas said...

i cant wait to see the new ad. it's going to be so different (i hope)

mydesignchic said...

I love this house-a perfect backdrop for that AMAZING view!! Bravo to Architectural Digest for a fresher look...thrilled to have found your blog this evening!!

Splendid Willow said...

Not boring to me! I am with you Linda! And I hope for a fresh reboot for that magazine.

Can we talk about all that natural light for a second. Wow! That is just what a light deprived Swede (now in Seattle - not much better!) needs. And the views. How absolutely beautiful.

A warm hug, Mon

Greet said...

Good morning Linda,
I hadn't seen yet the October issue of AD. In Belgium I can't find AD in my local store. I have to go to Ghent or Bruges to find a copy! But I mostly go to see the AD website. I hope the AD future will be new and fresh!
xx
Greet

Post a Comment